Friday, March 25, 2016

I Confer on You a Kingdom

Maundy Thursday.
The night of the Last Supper.
Don't miss the point!


Jesus and his disciples share the Passover Meal together.  In recent days, Jesus has been talking about his death more frequently and I can just imagine the disciples confusion over the dinner conversation.  

After taking the cup, he gave thanks and said, “Take this and divide it among you. For I tell you I will not drink again from the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.” And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.” In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you. LUKE 22:17-20

Bread and Wine, Jesus body and blood.  He's been trying to help them understand, but this is really beyond their realm of experience and understanding.  This Holy One of God, so good, so kind, so wise...  How could what he is saying be true?

Then in what seems like the same breath, Jesus makes the statement that someone at the table will be the one to betray him.  The disciples begin to question themselves, wondering who it might be...

Then, in the next moment, they are arguing about who among them is the greatest!

Tonight, I'm trying to put myself in the midst of the scene.  I've been traveling with Jesus, he's been talking about these things, yet they are really beyond my full comprehension.  The evening moves from a sacred meal, to an accusation, to confusion, to quarreling, and then...

The Savior of the World picked up a towel and demonstrated his love for his disciples by washing their feet. Jesus words and actions speak wisdom and truth!

Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God; so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him. John 13:3-5 

But you are not to be like that. Instead, the greatest among you should be like the youngest, and the one who rules like the one who serves. For who is greater, the one who is at the table or the one who serves? Is it not the one who is at the table? But I am among you as one who serves. LUKE 22:26-27 

Maundy, shortened form of the Latin, mandatum 
(from which we get the English word, mandate).  

In the Upper Room, on the night he was betrayed, 

THIS is the mandate:

Serve one another, as I have served you.
Love one another, even as I have loved you.
And then Jesus says:
And I confer on you a kingdom, just as my Father conferred one on me, so that you may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom and sit on thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. LUKE 22:29-30 

Jesus Spoke the Word, 

Showed the Word, 
Taught the Word, and 
Served those in front of Him.


The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.
We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son,
who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.  
JOHN 1:14

Jesus conferred on them a Kingdom of love.  

He brought this kingdom to their feet.  
He humbled himself and lovingly served.  

We can think of this night and remember betrayal, a night of agony as Jesus prays.  Don't miss the point...  Jesus has conferred on those who love Him a Kingdom of Love.  Jesus clearly says, it's not about power and position, it's about love.

Be humble, serve people in love, and give them heaven!



No comments: