Thursday, January 11, 2018

A Reflection on The Priestly Blessing

Photo Credit: Peter Meier
The LORD said to Moses, "Tell Aaron and his sons, 'This is how you are to bless the Israelites. Say to them:

The LORD bless you and keep you;
 the LORD make his face shine on you
and be gracious to you:
 the LORD turn his face toward you
and give you peace." 
NUMBERS 6:22-27


While visiting the Israel Museum in Jerusalem, one exhibit contains two small silver scrolls with this verse written in Hebrew. It is believed to come from the 7th century BC and is the earliest occurrence of a Biblical text in an extra-Biblical document found to date. 

It is the oldest extra-Biblical reference to YHWH, 

the God of Israel. 
I am imagining Moses speaking these words to Aaron and his sons for the first time as the Tabernacle is ready to be dedicated...  and my mind is recalling the words that YHWH spoke to Abraham so many years before: 

The Lord had said to Abram, “Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you.

“I will make you into a great nation,
    and I will bless you;
I will make your name great,
    and you will be a blessing.
I will bless those who bless you,
    and whoever curses you I will curse;
and all peoples on earth

    will be blessed through you.”  GENESIS 12:1-3

Abram was 75 years old and childless when the Lord spoke these words to him. Abram's response of faith resulted in the birth of Isaac and the nation of Israelites to whom this blessing would be spoken. 

I wonder if, in that moment, Moses would have experienced the magnitude of YHWH's faithfulness... to Abram... to Isaac...  to Jacob... that resulted in the first people to receive this blessing, spoken from the LORD?

Imagine your family, and their families, and their families... The Lord's love extends for eternity. 

My people, hear my teaching;
    listen to the words of my mouth.
I will open my mouth with a parable;
    I will utter hidden things, things from of old—
things we have heard and known,
    things our ancestors have told us.
We will not hide them from their descendants;
    we will tell the next generation
the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord,
    his power, and the wonders he has done.
He decreed statutes for Jacob
    and established the law in Israel,
which he commanded our ancestors
    to teach their children,
so the next generation would know them,
    even the children yet to be born,
    and they in turn would tell their children.
Then they would put their trust in God
    and would not forget his deeds
    but would keep his commands. PSALM 78:1-7

In what ways has YHWH, the LORD, been speaking to you?  

What steps of faithfulness may YHWH be inviting you to take today, in this season of your life?

What faithful response might you offer today, that may result in many people generations from now knowing the LORD and also being able to receive this blessing?  

Even when I am old and gray,
    do not forsake me, my God,
till I declare your power to the next generation,
    your mighty acts to all who are to come.

Your righteousness, God, reaches to the heavens,
    you who have done great things.
    Who is like you, God?  PSALM 71:18-19

1 comment:

Constance said...

thanks Tina, I think you are SEEING how Pat and I believe that a trip to Israel is a VISUALFAITH learning experience.