Sunday, September 1, 2013

"As"... a little word with a big meaning!

I've had this small, two-letter, word in my mind for days now!  Curious about its definition, I looked it up this morning.  This little word packs a BIG punch!!!


As = to the same degree or amount. 

Two scriptures on forgiveness came to mind.  The first is one of the petitions in the Lord's prayer, followed by an instruction from Paul.

Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.  MATTHEW 6:12

Forgive as the Lord forgave you. COLOSSIANS 3:13

Something I've learned to appreciate is - - the more I do what the Lord asks me to do, the better I understand and appreciate what He did for me!  Taking steps in faith, beyond what I could ever do on my own, allows me to know how able the Lord is!

This passage that Paul wrote to the church in Ephesus rings in my mind:
For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom his whole family in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge--that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.  EPHESIANS 3:14-21

As I was writing Faith is a Gift that takes practice, I was recalling how Jesus trained those first disciples.  They journeyed with Jesus and learned as they spent time alongside Him.  As they watched Him and as they practiced what He taught, they began to understand.  

We learn a new skill most effectively when we can apply it immediately.  In America we've formalized learning in many ways where instruction happens in environments that are separated from where the skill will ultimately be applied.  This is why trades have apprenticeships and professions have internships - - to enable students to apply what they have learned before they are certified.

Interns are students.  They are in the internship to learn and gain new skills as they get the opportunity to practice under the instruction and supervision of someone more skilled.  Usually, they have been provided instruction, so there has been a transfer of knowledge, but the goal of the internship is to apply and begin to master the skills on which they have been instructed.

Disciples are much like interns.  It is one thing to have knowledge, however it is totally different to have mastered what has been taught through practice.  


Discipleship is a life-long internship!

Mission, Jesus style calls each who knows the Lord to truly follow as those we read about in scripture.  We're not all called to drop everything like the disciples, although some may be.  However, I believe that the Lord calls His disciples to live with focus and purposefulness to help others know who He is, what He has done, and how eager He is to be in relationship with each person.  

As you read the Scriptures, what skills might you need practice or instruction to master?  Throughout my journey, I've sought out people who had more knowledge and experience in the areas where I desired growth.  Each of these people has been a true blessing!  So now, I find myself being also a student and a teacher.  Seeking out teachers to help me grow in some areas, and being a teacher in the areas where I feel equipped.  


Where is the Lord calling you to grow?


Prayer - - Study of Scripture - - Exercising your Gifting - - Growing in your ability to communicate?

The promise in Ephesians is that we will have power through the Spirit.  It also tells us that God's love surpasses knowledge.  As we step out in faith, interning as a disciple, and begin to practice what the Lord teaches us in His Word, we will be more fully able to truly understand the ways of God and how he has provided for you and me to live that out!
  

What step of faith is God calling you to make today?




No comments: