Sunday, September 29, 2013

Notice

Each time I've geared up to purchase a car, I began to pay attention to other cars on the road.  I noticed styles and colors and noted the features incorporated in various vehicles which would be helpful to my needs.

The next step usually involves taking a closer look to see if it's going to really be a good fit - - am I comfortable in the driver's seat?  ...do the features I'm considering measure up? (...this one was my all time favorite so far!)  You get the idea!


How is it that we become aware of something or someone?  

First, we notice!

When I follow Jesus through the Gospels, especially early on, he frequently says "Repent, the kingdom of God is near,"  Jesus is helping those around him notice the the kingdom of God.

Jesus taught the disciples they ways in which they could help people notice and experience the kingdom of God.  As the disciples are doing the very things Jesus taught them, others were noticing, which got them in a lot of trouble, but their reply was consistently: 


"For we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard."
ACTS 4:20

There are times I'm eager to share what I've seen, heard or experienced: a restaurant where I've had a fantastic meal, a good movie, a good book, blogs that feed my soul.  For you, there will be other things that make your heart sing and are eager to share with others - a climbing spot, an excellent mechanic, a special fishing hole, a field where the geese are landing... you fill in the blank.

In what ways are you noticing the things of the Lord that you are eager to share with others?  When I consider creation, not just earth, but the universe, my mind floods with thoughts...
expansive, complex, orderly, amazing, detailed...  

To think of the formation of a human baby - - two cells, merely two cells which come together and contain all of the elements that grow into a human being!  I am in awe when I consider the mystery and miracle taking place as these two cells become one and multiply.


Have the incredible and miraculous things of life become
so matter of fact 
that we fail to NOTICE the wonder of it all?


Mission, Jesus style seems to be about helping people become aware of the Lord's activity around them.  My prayer is that this blog helps you NOTICE the LORD of the universe who dearly loves his creation and all that is in it, including you!

Paul writes to Timothy:
I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone-- for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all men--the testimony given in its proper time.  
1 TIMOTHY 2:1-7

The great missiologist David Bosch describes God's activity this way:

The mission of God is alert all people everywhere 
to the universal  reign of God through Christ. 

Begin to notice the ways in which you see God's activity around you,
then help others notice also!


No comments: