Saturday, January 4, 2014

The 12 Days of Christmas - Day 11

On the eleventh day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
   Eleven Pipers Piping
   Ten Lords a Leaping
   Nine Ladies Dancing
   Eight Maids a Milking
   Seven Swans a Swimming
   Six Geese a Laying
   Five Golden Rings
   Four Calling Birds
   Three French Hens
   Two Turtle Doves
   and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Eleven Pipers Piping = The eleven Faithful Apostles:
1) Simon Peter, 2) Andrew, 3) James, 4) John, 5) Philip, 6) Bartholomew, 7) Matthew, 8) Thomas, 9) James bar Alphaeus, 10) Simon the Zealot, 11) Judas bar James. (Luke 6:14-16). The list does not include the twelfth disciple, Judas Iscariot who betrayed Jesus to the religious leaders and the Romans.

Faithful...   

How miserably I fall short of this.  Doing things I should not do...Not doing things I should...
But then I draw comfort from the people God chooses to reveal in the Scriptures.  People, just like you and me...with strengths and failings.  I give thanks for grace!


He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
    And what does the Lord require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
    and to walk humbly with your God.  MICAH 6:8

God knows we will never live in perfect obedience to his will on this side of heaven.  In his mercy and by His grace, he sent His one and only Son into this world to bear the burden of our sin.  Receiving this gift of grace comes by receiving what the Lord has done, and is doing for us.  

As I read the words above, I hear the Lord asking us to try.  He beckons us to live in humble obedience to his will - - a loving heart towards all humanity and all that sustains it.  

Loving God - - Loving Others 


No comments: