Monday, August 12, 2013

Limit Your Intake of Processed Food


One of the best parts of summer where I live is the access to fresh farm produce. There are farm stands on many of the country roads and in the city neighborhoods.  Corn, melons, zucchini, tomatoes, peaches, peppers...straight from the field and a source of great nutrition.  Nutrition experts all agree that processed food does not carry the same nutritional punch as farm fresh produce.  

We live in a time where nutrition is frequently in the media. Supporting local sustainable farming is a popular topic.  In one article it was said:


"Purchasing local food makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside."

The Word of God is like that too!  It's best and most beneficial when it's picked straight off the vine, just like produce.  

Jesus says "I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.  I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.   JOHN 15:1-5

The Word of God is like fresh produce for the soul.  I'm thankful if you are reading this blog and post and I pray it encourages you, but in a way it's like processed food, and we miss out on some of the nutritional value that God has especially for each one individually. 

There is no better teacher than the Lord himself!  He knows you individually and personally, so as you digest the Word for yourself, he'll provide insights that are just for you.  



All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.  2 Timothy 3:16-17

For your heavenly GPS (that I wrote about yesterday) to work at optimum capacity, it needs to be directly connected to the power supply.  There are great resources available to help you, like a 365 Day Reading Plan.  There are a couple of different plans to choose from.  Just sign up and you'll receive an email each day with the verses for that day.  

Make sure you eat fresh fruit and vegetables every day!

Feed on the Word, direct from the source, every day!


No comments: