Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Advent Day 11 - Weighted Down

Week of PEACE

The heavens opened two days and delivered the first frozen blessings of winter.  We received about 6 inches of snow topped by ice first, topped by another 3-4 inches of snow.  

Behind my home is a grove of white pines that stand 40-50 feet tall.  The boughs were hanging low from the weight of snow and ice that had accumulated.  Some were pinned to the ground from so much extra weight!



Do you ever feel like that?  
Where the cares,concerns and the burdens of life are weighing you down?  
Do you ever feel like your just pinned down and stuck?  



Then I heard it...


SNAP...crack, crack, crack... THUD!  

High up on one of the trees a limb snapped and took out a few more branches on the way down.  

Jesus says, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”  MATTHEW 11:28-30

During this week focused on PEACE, the weighted and the broken branches were a reminder of what happens when we carry more than we're meant to.  The regular matters of life can mount up, one upon another, and if we don't pay attention we're burdened, sometimes to the point of snapping and even taking others down with us.

Conflict, finances, grief, unforgiveness, physical pain, illness...
these can all weigh us down.  
Jesus' promise is that He will give us rest.  Our part is trusting Him enough to give Him our burdens. 

Just before Jesus arrest, he gave His disciples a realistic perspective that is important for us to remember also:  “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”  JOHN 16:33


Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.  1 PETER 5:7

No comments: