Thursday, December 5, 2013

Advent Day 5 - God With Us

Week of HOPE

Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel.  ISAIAH 7:14

I was pregnant with our first child when I was drawn to know the Lord, so this Scripture is always a tender reminder of the Lord's calling in my life.  I'm 28 years into my relationship with Christ and still amazed by the wonder of it all!  I didn't grow up in the faith.  I didn't have a major "experience."  I just knew God was inviting me to know Him.

I can't really explain it... there was just a gentle, yet persistent sensing of "get to know me." To the natural, human mind, this does not make sense, though something in my soul knew it to be real.  There is a certain element of mystery when it comes to faith.

Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. This is what the ancients were commended for. By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.  HEBREWS 11:1-3

Faith stands in the gap between fact and truth

The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.  JOHN 1:14

Immanuel - God with us

In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe.  The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven.  HEBREWS 1:1-3

Jesus - the living Word - Immanuel - God with us, lived a life of grace and truth. Through His earthly life, we have an example of God's best for humanity and the HOPE of the life to come.  We come to know the Father, through His Son, Jesus, by the working of the Holy Spirit it our lives.  

It is certainly a mystery full of HOPE!

Mission, Jesus style makes room for the Lord give birth to faith in people's hearts through His Word.  Spending time in His Word, recorded in the Bible, is how we get to know Jesus.  God promises:

You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you,” declares the Lord,  JEREMIAH 29:13-14a

In this season of Advent, a time of waiting and preparation, 
will you spend time with the God who wants to spend time with you?


No comments: