Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Advent Day 4 - My Son

Week of HOPE

I will proclaim the Lord’s decree:

He said to me, “You are my son;
    today I have begotten you.  PSALM 2:7

Many years before the birth of Jesus, these words were inspired in the Psalms.  He is essentially saying "You are my son; today I am declaring your lineage."

In this season of Advent we can remember the generations that were waiting for the Messiah...years later we hear the Lord declaring similar words over Jesus:

As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”  MATTHEW 3:1-17

Some children are born into families, others are adopted.  In both circumstances, the children were hoped for and waited for with love.  How well I remember the months of waiting for each of my sons to be born, loving each of them before I saw their faces.  Children in God's family are no different.  The Father is actively pursuing those outside his family to come in, lovingly anticipating the joy of the whole family with each new adoption.  


For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.”  The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children.  ROMANS 8:13-15

I am struck with a new thought!   I had always thought of my place in God's family as an adopted child, but in the wonderful mystery of God, we are more than adoptees, we are reborn into the family!  

Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God—children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.  JOHN 1:12-14

Jesus serves as our example that regardless of our circumstances, we are loved and secure in the family of God.  The Lord invites us to call him "Daddy" (Abba), and approach Him with freedom and confidence, no longer in fear.  In Ephesians, Paul writes:

I became a servant of this gospel by the gift of God’s grace given me through the working of his power...In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence.  EPHESIANS 3:7, 12

In being part of a family, we learn the ways of the family.  In the family of God, it is the same. Those in the family have been reborn with a new Spirit and a new heart, so it is natural to learn new ways, which we can think of as new clothing...

Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.  COLOSSIANS 3:12

Mission, Jesus style calls us to spend enough time with the Father to know how holy and dearly loved we are, and help others know this too!  God brings HOPE to humanity through His Son, Jesus, called Immanuel (God with us).   As we live in this new clothing, we can share this HOPE with everyone, not as as an ideology or a religion, but out of the relationship that you have with the creator of the universe - Abba, Father.

Share His love with someone who needs to hear it today!

No comments: