Sunday, December 29, 2013

The 12 Days of Christmas - Day 5

On the fifth day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
   Five Golden Rings
   Four Calling Birds
   Three French Hens
   Two Turtle Doves
   and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Five Golden Rings = The First Five Books of the Old Testament, known as the Torah or the Pentateuch:
1) Genesis, 2) Exodus, 3) Leviticus, 4) Numbers, and 5) Deuteronomy 

These books tell the story of creation, mans fall from grace, and the promise of redemption.  

It's impossible to understand God's activity in our lives and in the world without understanding the whole story.  As I first came to know the Lord, I was putting lots of small pieces into place, but there was such a disconnect in my understanding of the Old Testament and the New Testament.  By God's grace, I persevered in reading, asking questions, praying and seeking to understand.  

The rich story of humanity is contained in these books!

We live with both the grace of God and the evidence of evil in our world.  We don't have to look very far to see that there are bad things in the world.  It is difficult in a world where everything is relative, to embrace a sense of absolutes.  Holiness is one these things. 

I can recall the first time I encountered the thought that I was a sinful person.  Everything in my being rebelled!  As I began to grasp the concept that God is Holy - - perfect and without sin - - I pieces of God's redemptive mission in the world began to take shape.   

If there had been nothing wrong, there would be no need for a savior.

These books help us understand the broken condition of humanity and God's plan for redeeming it.  God promised a savior from the moment sin entered the world and broke the relationship between the He and mankind.  God is love.  Love always acts for the good of another.

The Lord receives the blame for things that are not of His doing.

In the book of Leviticus, the Lord makes a promise that is partially fulfilled in that generation, truly fulfilled in the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus, and ultimately fulfilled in eternity.  
I will put my dwelling place among you, and I will not abhor you.  I will walk among you and be your God, and you will be my people. LEVITICUS 26:11-12

On the day of Christ's birth, which we celebrate as Christmas, God entered the world and bodily walked among us.  The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.  JOHN 1:14  He came for the sole purpose of reconciling the relationship that was lost to sin.  God is FOR us, always working to restore, and not to destroy.

Take time to explore and understand the wonderful things 
the Lord has done and how dearly he loves you!



No comments: