Saturday, July 27, 2013

A Different Way of Thinking

As I read the Gospels and consider the ways in which Jesus taught his disciples, He focused on how to live in the Kingdom of God.  The words repeat over and over...


"the kingdom of God is like..."

It makes we wonder...in what ways have we reduced Jesus' way to tenets of faith?  In what ways has a living relationship with Jesus become an opinion, or doctrines, or principles?  Not to say that doctrines are not important, but doctrines don't replace relationship.  
Jesus uses this phrase several times in the Gospel of Matthew and Luke:   


"...the kingdom of God is near."

I wonder... in what ways am I living in the ways of God's kingdom, in what ways am I close and yet not truly understanding, and in what ways am I missing the point altogether?  It's a daily journey of learning to live in the kingdom, as life on mission, Jesus style. 


The disciples called Jesus rabbi, teacher.  Jesus asked them to follow him, and they did.  As they followed, He taught them and they learned the ways of the Kingdom.  I'm comforted that they must have been just as confused as I am at times because they asked lots of questions!  The Lord was gentle to remind them that His ways are different.


 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
    neither are your ways my ways,"
      declares the LORD.

  "As the heavens are higher than the earth,
    so are my ways higher than your ways
    and my thoughts than your thoughts.
                                                                                      ISAIAH 55:8-9

This morning I am recalling the first ten years or so of my story, as I learned to know, to trust and to live life as a journey of faith with Jesus...not just faith in Jesus, or for Jesus, but with Jesus.  Many things just didn't make sense at first, but over and over, the Lord kept saying something like this:

  "I have loved you with an everlasting love;
    I have drawn you with loving-kindness.
                                                                                         Jeremiah 31:3

My mind is always asking, "What's the point?"

For the first many years, one of my consistent prayers was for the Lord to help me understand what He was trying to teach me in the Scriptures.  Over issue after issue I would say, "Lord, this not the way I ever thought before.  If you want me to understand, please teach me."  Probably, the underlying question was, "What's the point?"  Today, I am thankful for that persistent prayer!


I've come to believe that the point is love!  

Love has a dynamic all its own... it can't be mandated, demanded, or forced.  Love is extended and invites love in return.  Love happens in the dynamic of a relationship.  I enjoy the people I love. There is something about their being that resonates with mine; it's a dynamic give and take.

I'm learning to live life with Jesus, on His mission, in His style, as the Lord is inviting humanity back into a loving relationship with Him, the one that created us.  The best way to learn to ways of the Kingdom is to spend time in the Word of God.  When there is something that you don't understand, begin by praying, simply asking the Lord all the questions that are in your heart.  He is always faithful to answer!

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. JEREMIAH 29:11-13





No comments: