Friday, July 19, 2013

A Journey Towards Neighboring

I recently finished reading The Art of Neighboring.  One of the authors, Jay Pathak shares his journey of discovering how to be a good neighbor.  It began as he invited people to join a cookout, relationships were established and opportunities to share the love of God through Jesus began to open up.


Jay says ; "What if every person who takes Jesus seriously would start with their neighbors?"  While I can complete some elements in the diagram he describes, I cannot complete everything.  I know everyone's name and an attribute about them, but I could not complete the last element to know the deep dreams of each one's lives. I know a couple, but certainly not for all eight.  I am convicted. 

One neighbor, that I know well, finds it humorous as we all come out of our homes like moles out of the underground tunnels each spring.  In the spring and summer, when the weather is nice, we greet each other, share pleasantries and catch up on what the kids are doing, but how frequently do we share about the things that matter for eternity?  In what ways have I helped each one to experience the love of God?

I've had my church friends into my home for meals, fellowship, the study of God's word, prayer and fun.  In all of this I have neglected my neighbors!  

The people I live closest to in proximity are not necessarily those I most effectively share the love of God.  These are households that surround my home, and can I say that we truly know each other?  As I write, I'm reminded of the diagram from post a few days ago on Compassion.  My neighbors would probably describe me as friendly and nice, maybe even kind, but there are only a couple that would know me as compassionate.  If it comes right down to it, I feel like I've failed at being the kind of neighbor that mission, Jesus style would promote.  

I continue to learn, confess my failings, and seek to do better.  Will you join me?

No comments: