Monday, July 29, 2013

A Missed Opportuity

Instead of worshiping with only one congregation, my role as an area-wide ministry leader takes me to each of the area churches.  Yesterday I had a 40 minute drive to the church where I worshiped and heard an interesting story on the radio.

During her prayers one evening, a young woman was lamenting to God about the awful meeting she had been in during the day.  She complained that the people were mean, the process was unproductive and there wasn't any love in the room...she couldn't wait to get out of there.  She asked, why people had to be that way, and why there wasn't any love in the room?  She sensed the Lord saying to her:

"You were there.  You were supposed to bring the love."

How often do we wonder where the Lord is in the midst of something, and maybe like this young woman can't wait to get out of the situation because of the harsh environment, only to realize (or not even be aware) that we were the one who was supposed to "bring the love?"  These are missed opportunities.  After the fact, I realized that I missed an opportunity yesterday.

During worship there seemed to be a person that didn't quite fit, but since I'm not in each congregation each week, there are a lot of details that I'm just not aware of.  After worship, it seemed that this man was seeking assistance and I observed one person hand him something, but I did not see what it was.  As I was going about my business this man approached me stating that he just needed $5 more dollars to get a prescription filled.  

Now the dilemma...in Life Isn't Fair I wrestled with this...here it is again standing next to me instead of outside my car at an intersection.  I wasn't prepared.  The questions in my mind raced.  I had just spoken during worship about bringing God to people and people to God.  It didn't seem right not to help him...how would that reflect on what I just said?   ...how would it reflect on God?

The uncomfortable moment seemed to hang for a long time...
How do I handle this?

It wasn't until my drive home that I realized my response may not really been God pleasing.  At the moment he approached me, I was in the midst of a conversation with another person from the church.  In that moment I had choices to make - - to help this man or not.  I replied, "sure, I can help you," as I opened my wallet and gave him what he asked for.  He said thank you and went on his way.  In my heart I prayed, "Lord, I trust you to do what is needed." 

Then...during my drive home, reflecting and praying, I had the distinct sense that I had missed an opportunity!  Then, it was as if the Lord said:

"You were supposed to bring the love!"

While I gave this man what he said he needed, I failed to truly bring care and compassion into the situation.  I missed an opportunity for serving this man by caring.  I didn't say it in this way, but in my discomfort, it's as if I handed him the money and said, "now be on your way."  

Instead, I could have taken the time to speak with him a few minutes, to learn his cares and pray for him, communicating how valued and loved he is by the Lord.  This interaction taught me a valuable lesson...take time to care...in this way we always bring the love!

2 comments:

Greg Finke said...

Excellent insight and an obvious truth though I often forget, miss and ignore it. Of COURSE, as his loved people, wherever we go we are to bring the love. Not necessarily the money or solutions (Luke 10) but definitely the LOVE. Thanks, Tina!

Constance said...

always needing to remember this SLOW DOWN reminder