Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Learning to Trust in a Culture of Fear

I'm reading the Gospel of John, trying to slow down and understand the nuances in each circumstance.  Today, the word "believed" stood out...the word in the original Greek text is pistis, sometimes translated as believed, sometimes faith, however it's built on a foundation of trust.  

As I prepare for the day, I think about the people I've met whose life circumstances have taught them that it's every man for themselves.  It makes me wonder...

...how does someone learn to trust 
when everything they've experienced is based in fear?

Trust takes time to develop.  It takes consistency in the course of a relationship.  People often need to be reminded of how trustworthy the Lord is.  

The Lord is faithful to all his promises and loving toward all he has made.  PSALM 145:13

A person's life circumstances shapes how they understand God, his grace or judgment, his trustworthiness...His goodness.  People have a lot of questions...  I had (and still have) a lot of questions.  I don't have it all figured out, however I appreciate how each day the Lord prepares me to help others through the circumstances of my own journey.   

We will not hide them from their children;
    we will tell the next generation
  the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD,
    his power, and the wonders he has done.
                                                            PSALM 78:4

Mission, Jesus style encourages us to spend time each day focusing on the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, so that we can encourage others to trust Him.

No comments: