Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Tender Mercy

The sermon at my church this past Sunday was on the Parable of the Good Samaritan from Luke 10:25-37.  In this parable, Jesus is making it clear what it means to "Love your neighbor as yourself."  The parable concludes:

"So which of these three do you think was neighbor to him who fell among the thieves?  He who showed mercy on him."  Then Jesus said to him, "go and do likewise."
Luke 10:36-37

Mercy   -  -    Compassion



These words have been ringing in my mind for the last four days.  Compassion can take many forms and a variety of visual images come to mind, but probably more than anything it communicates that someone truly cares.

The more I consider how to live this out, the more I realize that acting compassionately does not mean taking someone's pain away.  Compassion steps alongside, doing what can be done, but most importantly, stays with someone in the midst of of the challenges.  

Compassion seems to say " In whatever ways it is possible, I will try to ease your burden, but regardless of what happens, I'll be with you."



I am overwhelmed at the beauty of how this description provides a better understanding of Jesus.  He steps into the brokenness of this messy and painful world, and though he is not able to remove all the consequences of sin we experience in this life, he is right there with us to ease the burden.

Mission, Jesus style did exactly that.  He came and lived alongside us in the mess.

And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us.  JOHN 1:14


He promised us that being in relationship with Him would bring us peace, regardless of what is happening.

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."  JOHN 16:33

Being with people in grief ministry has taught me valuable lessons.  I cannot take away someone else's pain, I can't solve their problems, however being there with a caring and understanding heart, that says, "I acknowledge your pain and will be with you in it," has brought comfort to so many.  

One person said:


burdens shared are cut in half and joy shared in doubled



Mission, Jesus style sends me out to be compassionate.  He's teaching us who have received His mercy to be merciful to others. 

Jesus said, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: `I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners."  MATTHEW 9:13


One morning while serving in a compassion center, I met a woman who had spent much of her life in the midst of addiction and homelessness.  She stood about 5 feet 11 inches, but could not have weighed much more than 100 pounds.  She was literally skin and bones.  She had come in for some clothing and some food to help her get by for a few days.  As we talked, she shared the trials of her life, having lost a husband to drugs and a child to a traffic accident and the challenges of living on the streets.  She expressed thankfulness over the blessing of now having a small apartment to live in.

We must have talked for at least an hour as she shared her burdens with me.  I held her hands and we prayed...she cried...then she looked at me and said "thank you for treating me like a human being and not like scum."  These words sank deep into my heart!  This woman longed to be known and loved and treated like a human being.


I didn't have the means to change her life, but I could be with her for those moments on her journey.  I was able to share the promises of God's love for her and felt so humbled that those simple acts of care and compassion meant so much to her. 


Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.  JOHN 14:27 


Mission, Jesus style asks us to not be afraid to step into the mess, to treat others with compassion and care, and to have the blessing of seeing others be recipients of God's love!

No comments: