Monday, July 22, 2013

In the Gap

As I consider many conversations about faith over the years, they've given me perspective and helped me appreciate the variety of questions, doubts and misunderstandings that people have.  In the U.S. we live in a culture that wants to understand and be able to explain everything.  Some things are just beyond human explanation.  Faith is one of those things!

I'm a visual processor.  If I can make a picture out of a concept, I can usually grasp it.  But faith doesn't really seem to work that way.  As I search for images of "faith," the results return images of words like:

believe - - hope  - - trust 


The primary definition of faith in the Merriam Webster dictionary states 1) an allegiance or duty to a person, fidelity to one's promises, and sincere intentions.  It begs questions about the person, their promises and their sincerity.


I think of phrases like "a leap of faith."  

To take that leap, I need to believe I can get to the other side.  


The bible defines faith this way:

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.  
HEBREWS 11:1

Faith is in the gap!


Mission, Jesus style invites people to a journey of discovery.   How can someone have faith, and be certain of what they do not see, when they don't yet know the person in whom their faith is to be put?  The Lord says "get to know me."  

 I love those who love me,
    and those who seek me find me.
PROVERBS 8:17

In my early journey to faith, I didn't come hostile, but I certainly came ignorant!  Bit by bit I came to know the personal nature of God and the love He has for all humanity.  As I got to know Him, trust grew.  My faith grew as my seemingly endless list questions were patiently answered.

I still don't truly understand faith, for if I truly understood it, it would not be faith.  Faith stands in the gap - - between what we can absolutely prove as fact in human terms - - and what the writer of Hebrews says is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Faith comes through grace!  Grace is the gift of God to you and me!


For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-- not by works, so that no one can boast.  EPHESIANS 2:8-9

Mission, Jesus style invites people to seek, to ask questions, to be bold about their doubt.  He calls me to know him deeply through his word and then, to help others to know Him.  I can't outsource my relationship with Him!  My relationship only grows by spending time in His Word and nurturing my ability to understand His promises, know His faithfulness, and trust that what He says is true and trustworthy.  

When faith is personal, when you're certain that God is sincere and trustworthy, you will be able to give the reason for the hope that you have.  



No comments: