Thursday, July 25, 2013

In the Course of the Day

When I served as the Director of Outreach in a church, I believed that no one should feel like a stranger the second time they came.  I also go about my daily routine with the same idea in mind.  In the morning, I'm wondering who I will meet and ask the Lord to prepare me to care about each one.  It could be someone I sit next to in a waiting room, a clerk in a store, a server in a restaurant, a parent in a school...the list is endless.  I've learned to seek opportunities, not force them.  

Mission, Jesus style is about helping someone move from being a stranger to being a friend.  We don't usually think about making friends as a project or an event; we make friends as we go about our lives, discovering people who become our friends along the way.  I think about sharing God's grace in this way.  

Jesus didn't force those He invited to follow Him.  He interacted with many, however He was looking for Persons of Peace.  The three posts on this topic earlier in the month will be helpful.  We don't have to force someone to believe, or impose a belief upon them.  Although, if we never give them an invitation, we may have missed a God-ordained opportunity.

Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."  MATTHEW 28:18-20

As you go...  In your going...  During the course of your day...
Make disciples


Friendship usually begins by welcoming someone into our lives. Being reflections of God's grace encourages us to be attuned to the concerns of others.  


Be observant and listen.  
Tune your mind to discover ways, large and small, to care about the person in front of you.



Yesterday, I was in the post office buying stamps and sending out a stack of 28 larger envelopes that required an odd amount of postage.  The postal worker tackled the task by individually printing a postage sticker for each one, which took a bit of time.  Learn to seize the opportunity.

Start a conversation.  
Find a topic that has a gospel orientation and open up conversation.

When he apologized for the transaction taking so long, I merely said "no problem, I'm patient." That four-word statement opened up a wonderful conversation!  I was able to share how God has been teaching me patience and how patient the Lord is.

But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. 
2 PETER 3:9

The person or the circumstance will help you know how best to proceed.  Be willing to take the first small step.  Grow in your ability to talk about spiritual things.  The more you practice, the easier it gets.

As you go...  In your going...  During the course of your day...
Make disciples

1 comment:

tag said...

I'm trying!!!!!!!

Thanks for being MY friend!!